9.02.2009

Meet Craig...One of My Best Friends

Unless you've been living in a cave for the last few years you may not be familiar with one of the best resources for online decorating...craigslist.com

What I love about craigslist is that you can search for exactly what you might be looking for and unlike ebay, there is no bidding involved or waiting for shipping. If you see something you like, contact the seller and make arrangements to pick it up. It's easy as pie and no one loves pie like I do.

I have my standard words and items I plug into the craigslist search engine: vintage, antique, French, rustic, shabby chic, handmade and so on. If I am looking for a Hutch, I type in the word hutch or cabinet and "Tah-Da" I instantly can view pictures and prices of things that might interest me. I can search by city or the greater bay area and Craig is always there for me, he's never closed.

Craigslist is also a great place to search for tag sales and estate sales--not everyone advertises in the newspaper anymore when craiglist is completely f-r-e-e.

Here is a little number I just picked up off of craigslist for $50.


I know, can you believe how fabulous it is? It's a hall tree made from an old door and there is even storage in the seat...I freaking love it. I have seen pictures of cool pieces you can make from old doors and windows and this was one of my many projects I had floating around in my head that I've never gotten around to making. And, the bonus is, I could not have made this piece including my time for $50. It's outside on our porch right now because I'm still trying to figure out what the hell to do with it. I'm resourceful but I never said I was smart...

What's even better? I can find pieces during the week and pick them up in Jim's truck while he's at work and he's never the wiser. I don't have to do any fancy negotiations with him or explanations to use his truck (wink wink).

I change our furniture around a lot and I'm always redecorating. I've been known to buy and move in some pretty large and heavy pieces of furniture in my day...things it takes my husband a few days to figure out are even there. So when he asks me, "Where'd we get that?" I can honestly respond, "Oh, that old thing???" and quickly change the subject.

Do I have a spending problem? Yes, but in a good way because I only spend money on BARGAINS. Right?
Happy Junking,

1 comment:

  1. If you come across a cabinet of some kind that is no more that 32" wide that I could use in our living room to store all our stuff during your adventures. Let me know!!!! I am sure there would be a 'finders fee' in it for you.

    ReplyDelete